Site Navigation

Things You Need to Know When Divorcing an Abusive Spouse

Acts of domestic violence should never be taken lightly. According to statistics, domestic violence affects the lives of approximately 4 million people every year, a majority of whom are women and children. Children who witness episodes of abuse between their parents grow up to become abusive themselves, leading to more episodes of violence. The good thing is that victims of marital abuse can take certain steps to quickly and effectively get relief from domestic violence.

The first and most important thing to do is to seek help by taking immediate action. Your first step should be to inform the police. Then contact the domestic violence relief agency in your area as they will be able to give you advice and direct you to a safe shelter. You need to take all the necessary steps to ensure your safety and the safety of your children if your spouse is violent. Victims of domestic abuse can file charges against the abusive spouse, like rape and sexual offense, battery and assault, threats, stalking and harassment. In any of these cases, it is advised to contact the police immediately and also talk to a lawyer.

The victim also needs to prepare and file a complete domestic violence complaint. This complaint should list all the facts of the abuse or violence. A criminal defense attorney will be able to help you in such a case. By being more specific, you can have a strong and compelling case which can be presented in court. Although do-it-yourself forms are available through the Clerk of Superior Court, you should not use these forms if child custody and support issues are involved. Seek help from a lawyer and choose the right solution.

Victims of domestic violence also need to be aware of protective orders and what they can and can’t do. The first thing to know about protective orders is that they will expire at the end of a fixed period, which is usually not more than a year. If the protective order is about to expire, the victim can request a renewal of up to another year. Copies of the protective order have to be submitted to the police and the sheriff’s department in the county you are residing in. Your attorney will make sure that the protective order is submitted to all the required authorities as needed.

Seek help immediately if you are a victim of domestic abuse, whether it is emotional or physical violence. Domestic abuse can take different forms, including physical abuse, sexual abuse, financial abuse, emotional abuse, online abuse as well as honor-based violence, and forced marriage. Survivors of domestic must seek the help and support that they need by contacting an experienced domestic abuse attorney. The first consultation is usually free and totally confidential. Call the office of Mark Schondorf in Northbrook, IL at (312) 487-4099 to request a Free Consultation and discuss your case.